Thursday 29 July 2021

Cockroach behavior

So I never thought I’d say this but I’m letting a cockroach live in my house unbothered. His name is Larry “Nine Lives” Malone and he seems to be the roach who makes all the rules.

Why have I named a cockroach, you may ask? I have never, in so many years in a Texas home with terrible insulation, ever seen a cockroach behave this way. This roach has returned to the same spot on the wall almost every night for a MONTH. He’s not dead, in fact very active up there, and he leaves (presumably to get his beauty sleep) every morning. There is nothing on this wall that is particularly attractive and it’s far removed from any food source that I can discern.

Not only is his nightly return fascinating, but he seems to be extremely aggressive toward smaller roaches who encroach (I’m sorry) upon his territory. He flutters his wings at them and after regrettably looking up roach mating, I know that’s not what’s going on. He fights them! In fact, since he’s been here, I’ve seen other roaches acting aggressively as well, including one just ripping off another’s legs. I speculate that these are wiseguy roaches whacking their boss’ perceived threats but it just seems very unusual.

So I want a more scientific explanation. For context, it’s been hot and rainy lately, I’m in Central Texas, and I believe Larry and his buddies are Florida woods cockroaches. Any info about this would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/nonbeenary
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/oudgnk/cockroach_behavior/

No comments:

Post a Comment