Monday 4 October 2021

Preserving pinned insects help!!!

My praying mantis ate this moth in half. The freaking moth took the chance as soon as he bit through to FLY AWAY. And IT FLEW FOR 4 HOURS.

It was amazing! It’s abdomen was on one side of the cage and the thorax was crawling and flying all over the place!

My spoiled choppy boi didn’t wanna deal with it anymore so after it stopped moving for a bit, I did my very first pinning.

I pinned the juicy abdomen onto a cork and covered it with a plastic container in case eggs would come out. I pinned the rest and put it away to dry. I currently have it with my floral drying beads.

A few days later, I found that the abdomen has fluffed over…

I placed a dead mantis I found into a fake terrarium and it didn’t have this issue. I found the mantis dead and it was perfectly placed (in my mind. Despite the antennae being gone…)

I heard I might be able to salvage the butt with Lysol, but how do I avoid this?? Do I need to dry it out???

submitted by /u/Das-Mimi
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/q1ntur/preserving_pinned_insects_help/

No comments:

Post a Comment