Thursday 5 August 2021

Bald-faced hornets

I remember as a kid crossing the path of a bald-faced hornets nest and even at 30 ft away they don't care and they come after you.

The other day my wife said there's a bee's nest in the tree so I went over to have a look and I got within 3 ft of it and realized it was a bald-faced hornets nest as you can see the drones at the opening. They did not swarm as they were just looking at me so as they looked at me I slowly backed away because I know a little bit about them as I research these guys in the past.

Now what's interesting is the nest is quite big it would be 12 in by 12 in but we have not noticed them for the past 5 months. They're nest is about 5 to 8 ft from our main traffic areas when I'm using a trimmer, a lawn mower, we have a dog but they have not attacked us once. I have three kids a dog a cat and my wife and nothing has happened. Is it possible that they know we are no danger because I thought about removing the nest but we've had zero issues with them the entire time and we've even weeded the garden around that tree within a foot and they have not attacked so again this tells me that they do not see us as a threat.

Now before I go with this theory or belief should I let them be or should I remove them?

submitted by /u/Zombie_Be_Gone
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/oyltah/baldfaced_hornets/

No comments:

Post a Comment