Thursday 1 July 2021

I’ve seen a Karner Blue butterfly today. Are they still extirpated from my area or should I contact someone? Southern Ontario, Canada

I saw the smallest blue butterfly today, I thought he was a moth! No more than 2cm across. He landed with his wings folded up and the undersides were white with very small black spots. The tips of his wings were a sky blue but a touch darker, with a thin black outline and a white edge.

I didn’t have my phone on me and he didn’t hang around long so I didn’t get a picture. When I got to my phone I googled ‘small blue butterfly ontario’ and got a Karner Blue as the first result. I’m 99.9% certain it’s exactly what I saw. However, everything I find about it says that they haven’t lived in Ontario for a while. They were confirmed extirpated in 2009

Is that information up to date or should I contact someone?

submitted by /u/loveafterlife-taxid
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/oc2dsw/ive_seen_a_karner_blue_butterfly_today_are_they/

No comments:

Post a Comment