Thursday 25 February 2021

Catching and releasing flies, why are flies returning back to my home?

I don't like to kill inspects. We are in winter. A couple of months ago, found 3 flies in home. This is n't normal as in Europe. At first caught them in a jar and released them outside. Next day, they came back, I went a bit further away, left them near some bins, in the hope the smell entices. Everytime those 3 flies returned to my home. It felt like they were homing pigeons. The windows are shut, but there is a tiny gap in the windows, so imagine that is how they are coming in.

Everytime, I tried going further and further away from my home. They always came back. Eventually drove 3 miles by car, release them and never saw them again. Problem solved!

We had no flies for weeks. Now I have two flies. I don't think they are the same one, as the one previously had a green tinge. These are pure black. Threw them out last night. The wind was blowing the other way, just in case they could smell my home. They still found me.

What is attracting them to my home? We throw the rubbish day. We don't leave food out in the open. We don't eat food in the bedrooms. There are lot of other people's home, so why are they attracted to mine?

submitted by /u/HyperClub
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/ls7go0/catching_and_releasing_flies_why_are_flies/

No comments:

Post a Comment