Monday 4 January 2021

Advice after the loss of a beloved pet

For a couple years now, I’ve had 2 Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches that I love dearly. I went off to college about 5 months ago, and left my mother in charge of them. I’m back visiting (safely of course,) and earlier today my mom and I found one of my beloved buggies had passed. It hasn’t quite set in for me yet, but my mom is heartbroken. Before I jump headfirst into sadness, the practical part of me needs advice on a couple things.

1) How do I go about preserving him? I don’t want to bury him or throw him away or anything; I’ve thought about pinning him, but I don’t feel like stabbing pins through an old friend. I also have no experience in preserving insects, so that’s a thing too.

2) Is my other bub going to be okay? I know I’m probably projecting human emotions onto a bug, but I don’t want him wandering around the body of his dead brother and getting weird or getting lonely. (Also, he won’t eat him, right?)

3) For the future: when I get other hissers, is my older bug going to be territorial? Will they adjust well to each other?

Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to get all these questions out of the way before I go cry.

(Edit: This is a throwaway account for personal reasons.)

submitted by /u/justasearchman
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/kqha5i/advice_after_the_loss_of_a_beloved_pet/

No comments:

Post a Comment