Wednesday 5 August 2020

Did wasps eat my caterpillars?

A few weeks ago i noticed small oval yellow eggs growing under a leaf of my nasturtiums, which later hatched into caterpillars (afaik, they're Pieris brassicae). As I wanted to see them grow and turn into butterflies, I decided to just let them chow down on my flowers. They seemed to be doing well and growing fast until last night, but when I went to check on them this morning, they were all gone. But what I did find, were 2-3 wasps hovering around my balcony and they seemed particularly keen about my nasturtiums. I can't see any of the caterpillar remains, or any pupae either. I don't have any cabbage on my balcony and there were still plenty of leaves left on the nasturtiums, so I don't think they moved to another plant, especially since afaik it's the only thing on my balcony they'd find appetising.

Did the wasps feast on my caterpillars?

Thanks in advance

submitted by /u/Chef_Chantier
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/i423c1/did_wasps_eat_my_caterpillars/

No comments:

Post a Comment