Saturday 4 December 2021

Dermestid Beetles- preparing a skeleton for them

I was wondering if it’s possible to use Dermestid beetles to skeletonise an animal without having to remove any skin/organs first. I had the thought that I could use them to skeletonise my pets when they pass away (I would like to keep their bones as I am an osteoarchaeology student and bones have a lot of meaning for me). However I read that you have to remove a lot of the body before using the beetles, which obviously I would not be willing to do to my own pets. I am wondering if there is a work around for this, or if it would be better to simply bury a pet and wait for the bones to skeletonise naturally. My dogs are happy and healthy but I’d rather know these things far before the event arrives. Thank you!

submitted by /u/waspish_tongue
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/r8pvfj/dermestid_beetles_preparing_a_skeleton_for_them/

No comments:

Post a Comment