Monday 29 November 2021

Question about purchasing insects(from the U.S. to Canada)

Hi, sorry if this isn't allowed or is a little off topic, but I checked for any rules around here and couldn't find anything beyond the standard reddit rules, so I thought I'd give it a shot. TL;DR at the bottom.

I recently got into this hobby, collecting a few things here and there, a shiny beetle, a blue bee. I'm by no means some expert or super into all their names and origins, just mostly the intricate designs and colors.

I found a very cool specimen on a website that I wanted to purchase for a bit of a self Xmas present, though it turns out they don't ship to Canada. I thought about shipping it to a friend and having them ship it to me, though doing a little more digging, learned that that might be illegal and will end up getting my bug seized by the U.S. postal service.

I've dug around, and one place tells me that it's illegal to export insects(dead or alive), whereas another tells me it's fine so long as you have a permit, and another goes further and tells me you only need to declare what you're shipping and don't need a permit.

I really would like to purchase that specimen, though really don't like having to risk a potentially $80 purchase falling into the hands of the U.S. postal service and losing out on my money and bug.

I do know that it isn't illegal to ship a dead insect into Canada, it's just the U.S. export regulations that seem to be the problem. An interesting bit is that the specimen in question is from Africa, and it's being sold out of the U.S...?

TL;DR I want to buy a bug from the U.S. to my residence in Canada, is that illegal and if so will it get seized or returned to sender?

submitted by /u/TheAsparagoos
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/r5fnw7/question_about_purchasing_insectsfrom_the_us_to/

No comments:

Post a Comment