Monday 4 October 2021

Big fuzzy wasp/bee type thing that loves tree sap in WA state

It's been about a decade since I've seen one and had never seen one prior. I'd love to know what they are and put my curiosity to rest.

I was building a log cabin with the old man and after using a spud to strip the bark off trees, we would see these things appear on the bare trees.

They were about 1.5" in length. Mostly covered in black fuzz with some yellowish stripes. Interestingly, they had a long black syringe-like tube (?) protruding from their abdomen which I assume was harvesting secretions from freshly stripped trees. Any ideas? TIA

submitted by /u/til1and1are1
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/q1ht6j/big_fuzzy_waspbee_type_thing_that_loves_tree_sap/

No comments:

Post a Comment