Tuesday 31 August 2021

House Bug Help Needed

I have a few problems, so I would appreciate some advice or solutions.

1) How many cellar spiders is too many?

I feel uncomfortable killing them because they are helping keep other insects away… and my house has an insect problem in general, as it set empty for over a year before I moved in. Upon move in, there were 20-30 cellar spiders in my house including at least one in every kitchen cabinet…

I have generally been unbothered by them (excluding cabinets RIP), but it’s is kind of getting ridiculous. So I have started killing them… they are reproducing rapidly and they have a rather long life span based off research.

Should I be releasing them? My only concern with that is that it could affect the population of other insects in the yard because I have essentially created an unnecessary breeding program.

How many should I let live in my house ? Should I eliminate all I can see, knowing they have offspring I cannot see?

2) I have oriental cockroaches…?

Upon move in they were very bad. I knew they are attracted to moist climates, and my landlord said that under the house is moist about 3 feet in as it was an incredibly wet spring/summer. They have stayed mostly in back of house (near water heater room, laundry room, and bathroom). I know infestation happens rapidly, and i have done extensive research.

My landlord was informed about the problem, and he sprayed the house. Cockroaches went away for a period of time. They have returned as nymphs…

My theory is that there were Ootheca already laid that were not affected by the roach spray. Is that theory logical? I have killed ~12 nymphs. I am going to spray again to kill the rest.

My question is, should I release a few house centipedes in the back room of my house to eat future nymphs/other insects? Or is that just fucking insane?

Are the cellar spiders killing cockroach nymphs as well?

3) Katydid infestation?

A previous garden bed is in my backyard with peonies and rhubarb. It is absolutely covered with katydids. You cannot step into the grass surrounding without them jumping away for their lives.

Is it detrimental to the future of the garden?

Will they eat/destroy a vegetable/herb garden? If so, what can I plant to deter them/attract them elsewhere?

Will they return with high population after the winter?

Why are there so many? I have never seen anything like it.

Sorry for the novel. Please help.

submitted by /u/nmt623
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/pflz3l/house_bug_help_needed/

No comments:

Post a Comment