Tuesday 5 January 2021

So I had a question regarding insects. Why (and how) metamorphosis works?

It seems like most insects (And well, most arthropods) don't go through the same kind of developement that, let's say, butterflies do. I am no expert, but it seems to me that the only insects that go through "true metamorphosis" are beetles, hymenoptera and lepidoptera (I'm very proud I could remember those names, IM LEARNING SOMETHING IN THIS SUB AFTER ALL).

Anyways, I feel like metamorphosis is very resource consming, and I am not sure if roaches have to consume all of that energy in order to become adults. And, well, if you are a pupae, you can't defend yourself or run away from predators, so you become an easy meal right? Why some insects evolved for doing this? How can they survive? And why are there insects that didnt evolved to have metamorphosis?

Also, the how. I heard that larvae literally mealt themselfs, but how do they reconstrct their bodies exactly?

Sorry if I was not clear enough my english is just bad :/

submitted by /u/Lexdrillo
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/kr8xxg/so_i_had_a_question_regarding_insects_why_and_how/

No comments:

Post a Comment