Thursday 3 December 2020

Observation of my pet tomato hornworm now hawk moth, Munchie, and their eating habits.

His name is Munchie because he would constantly bite my finger when I would pick him up as a caterpillar.

He for some reason never was able to unfold his wings when he left his cocoon. They stayed folded up even though he was in an open space.

So, Munchie gets a nectar that's basically just raw honey and water mixed together.

When Munchie is hungry, I used to soak a paper towel in the solution and get him to get his proboscis out.

But now, when he's hungry, he just sticks it out and goes nuts in his little container that I keep him in (he kept flipping himself over in the butterfly mesh thingy, so this keeps him more stable)

Today I literally just let him stick his proboscis in the container with the solution and it took him maybe 2 minutes to get him to eat and retract his proboscis instead of the 10 minutes it takes with the paper towel.

Is this an example of him learning??

Also, I have no idea of this moth's gender but Munchie is a moth and has no concept of gender, so I call him he/they.

submitted by /u/jurvekthebosmer
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/k6e1ek/observation_of_my_pet_tomato_hornworm_now_hawk/

No comments:

Post a Comment