Tuesday 1 September 2020

Some help identifying cicadas that just arrived...

Hello! I live in the Appalachian Mountains of Western NC. I remember reading earlier in the year that the 17 year cicadas of Brood IX would be erupting in this area in the spring. I was excited about it because I remember the cicada chaos when I lived in NY as a kid in the 90's.

Spring came & went - no cicadas arrived in this area : (

But just last week, I started to notice a bunch of dead cicadas in the parking lot at work & I'm beginning to hear that loud beautiful sound.

So I guess there's another brood that just started coming up out of the ground but I'm having a hard time identifying which one it could be. It's not the massive swarm I remember from my childhood. I read a little about 13 year Brood XIX but I couldn't find much information.

Could someone help me identifying which critters I'm seeing? Could it be that the brood that was supposed to arrive in the spring is just delayed because of the high elevation? I just want to learn more about the particular species & figure out how long they'll be around.

Thank you for any help!

~Mr. P!

Edit: I found a dead boi.

Up top and the undercarriage.

submitted by /u/MisterPooty
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/ikmtfw/some_help_identifying_cicadas_that_just_arrived/

No comments:

Post a Comment