Monday 29 June 2020

Do antlions make noise?

There's several bugs of the same species in my house, and the past few nights (they only seem to be active for a few hours around dusk) they've been making a two part creaking noise. I've seen them, but I can't get a picture at all. They look an awful lot like antlions, about the size of a short dragonfly except with their wings folded flat over their backs, and with really heavy legs and antennae.

I'm relatively sure it's an antlion but I can't find any information on antlions making noise at night. I'm in Maine, and most of them are about an inch and half long. They're black with clear wings, I don't see any spots or patterns.

They also seem to have a weird defence mechanism where if you blow them or brush them away they jump up in the air and fall to the ground.

submitted by /u/MouseBean
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/hhx1mu/do_antlions_make_noise/

No comments:

Post a Comment