Friday 29 May 2020

Question for the bug lovers/scientists. Bug leaves strangely familiar smell.

I didn't get a picture because this happened after I let it out outside.

I was working in my bathroom and there was a black (maybe very dark brown) beetle crawling around on the floor.. I let him be for awhile as the window was open so figured he'd find his way out. He didn't and I was worried i'd step on him, so I gently picked it up and put it out the window. Very shortly after I smelled a VERY strong odor that smelled very familiar..it smelled EXACTLY like medical tape (that "hospital" smell). Wife and daughter agreed. It also almost smells a little like burnt metallic sort of like welding also. I am shocked at how strong the odor is. I washed my hands for awhile and it's still in the air and on my fingers.

I am in SW VA. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? My daughter said there was one in her room the other day and said it smelled just like that.

Note, this is NOT the run of the mill stink bug. We definitely know what those are and their smell. This beetle had a harder-looking/shinier exoskeleton and it was bigger around on its back in.

submitted by /u/shelzmike
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/gt681i/question_for_the_bug_loversscientists_bug_leaves/

No comments:

Post a Comment