Sunday 31 May 2020

Making a lid for my painted lady caterpillars: is cheesecloth okay?

So, I just recently bought painted lady caterpillars from Insect Lore, but there’s one problem: SO many of the reviews say that the material on the lid causes the chrysalis to fall off. I want to make sure this doesn’t happen, so I’ve started to craft a lid.

My idea is to take a ring of cardboard (that fits around the cup) and stretch cheesecloth on it. That way it covers the cup and offers a better place to form chrysalides.

My question is: is cheesecloth a good material for them to make chrysalides on? Are there better materials - paper towel maybe? And, is this a good idea in the first place? It says on Insect Lore’s website that opening the cup can introduce bacteria, but I think this lid will still keep them safe. Any information is helpful, thanks

submitted by /u/pnweiner
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/gu2ja4/making_a_lid_for_my_painted_lady_caterpillars_is/

No comments:

Post a Comment