Tuesday 26 May 2020

Classic taxonomy v/s modern molecular techniques, are they mutually exclusive?

While studying at college I was working in a entomology research lab, PI was a strict taxonomist and I learnt that to, but the more people in the field I knew, the more I heard that strict taxonomy is a dying science. Some people defend new techniques because are cheaper and you don't need that much trining to identify something, but the same techniques can be a little to much sensitive and separates one population in several species. That why my question is, are they mutually exclusive? What method you use to identify a species which have never been seen before? Is classic taxonomy death? Would you recommend to follow a mayor in classical taxonomy?

submitted by /u/kuroikururo
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Entomology/comments/gr3vib/classic_taxonomy_vs_modern_molecular_techniques/

No comments:

Post a Comment